The Department of the Navy released its proposed $148 billion budget for fiscal year 2015 (FY15), March 4.
The budget is part of the $495.6 billion defense budget President Barack Obama submitted to Congress the same day.
Rear Adm. William Lescher, Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Budget, briefed media at the Department of Defense budget press conference about the Navy and Marine Corps portion of the budget .
“Our budget comes during a period of increased fiscal austerity and uncertainty, and at a time when the Combatant Commanders’ demand for naval forces continues at very high levels,” said Lescher, “There were tough choices made in developing this budget, but it provides the resources that allow us to preserve our warfighting advantage in a thoughtful, responsible way.”
This year’s budget submission prioritizes funding for forward presence and continues to make critical investments in people and future capabilities.
The proposed budget sustains presence by providing money for ship steaming, flight hours, maintenance and base operations. It funds amphibious ready group and carrier strike group deployments, supports the three ballistic missile defense (BMD)-capable destroyers joining the USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) in Rota in FY15, and provides continued support for the rebalance to the Pacific, with $46.8 billion overall in operations and maintenance.
Additional investments are proposed for retaining Sailors through the Quality of Service initiative. The Navy seeks to reduce manning gaps at sea and improve the sea-to-shore flow of personnel.
The Navy has also requested $38.4 billion for ship, aircraft, weapons and other procurement for programs including Littoral Combat Ship, P-8A Poseidon aircraft, Virginia class submarines and the Mk-48 heavy weight torpedo.
Research and development priorities include the Ohio-class replacement submarine, next generation jammer and Unmanned Carrier Launched Airborne Surveillance and Strike (UCLASS), as well as developing electromagnetic spectrum and cyber capabilities.
The Navy FY15 budget is a $15 billion decrease from the level forecast in last year’s budget submission and is a $38 billion reduction over the Future Year Defense Plan from the FY14 Presidential Budget.
“We’re confident this budget makes the right choices where needed,” said Lescher. “Within our fiscal limitations, this is the budget to continue to ensure near- and long-term wholeness, and to remain the world’s most capable Navy,” Lescher said.
For the Chief of Naval operations’ take on Quality of Service, visit his blog entry at http://cno.navylive.dodlive.mil/2014/01/13/quality-of-service-striking-the-right-balance/
For more information on the Optimized Fleet Response Plan, visit the All Hands Magazine article at http://www.navy.mil/ah_online/ftrStory.asp?id=79222
For more information on the budget: