SANA’A, Jan.8—Interrogations of the crew of an Egyptian ship seized by Yemeni naval forces on Sunday in the Nashton Port of Mahra governorate are still underway.
Yemeni authorities have yet to provide any information about the ship’s cargo but a committee that includes representatives from the general prosecutor’s office, the public security office, the Ministry of Fisheries and military intelligence began their investigations on Tuesday, said Mohammed Al-Mawiri, a spokesperson for the Interior Ministry,
Col. Shuja Mahdi, the operations director for the coastal forces, told the Yemen Times the Egyptian ship was seized due to “suspicious” activities. He said the ship made multiple, unannounced stops as it moved slowly along the Yemeni coastline.
“The ship stopped in places where foreign ships that were smuggling goods or fishing illegally had been caught previously,” said Mahdi.